American History in a Box
“American History in a Box” home courses provide students with a basic foundation for understanding the main concepts, people, and events in American history. The books, writing prompts, games, and activities are selected based upon the National Common Core Standards (corestandards.org) and the Virginia Standards of Learning (www.doe.virginia.org). The activity book promotes core learning by pulling together information gleaned from reading and research into fun and educational activities. Upon completion of the course, students are assessed based on Common Core expectations for their specific grade level. Our consultants will provide you with a one-page assessment with mastery learning suggestions for future study.
We created the box with the intention that children will be able to read and complete most of the activities independently. The writing prompts are pulled from Common Core Standards recommendations and the activities support SOL Standards learning. The concept list at the end is for parents to use during discussions about the time periods in American History.
The box includes:
- One encyclopedia of American History,
- Six books of historical fiction,
- Six non-fiction books,
- 4 – 5 American History puzzles and games
- Basic supplies
- Activity Book divided into 12 themes and eras with a concept list, writing prompts, and connected activities. Activities might include a crossword puzzle, word search, Venn diagram, acrostic poem, or a journal entry.
- One supplemental plan for American History with additional book and activity recommendations.
- A final assessment and extended mastery-learning plan.
Click Here to Order American History in a Box for Grades 4 and 5! $399 plus shipping
Includes encyclopedia, 6 books of historical fiction, 6 non-fiction books, games, an activity book, and art supplies. We also include a book and activity list and a final assessment.